Monday, September 15, 2008

News

Entry from Mandy on Sept 13, 2008


I got some interesting news yesterday. I learned that the orphanage that I worked in here in Guatemala in December, the one with the terrible conditions, was closed down. Apparantly the police had been investigating them for months. I had written a letter in December right when I got home from that orphanage talking about the living conditions, and distributed it to as many organizations as I could in the States. It hadn´t made any difference. But I had sent a copy to Guillermo as well, and he distributed it to organizations here in Guatemala causing the police to go into that orphanage several times to view the conditions and the way that the employees treated the children. The other day a baby girl died there because of neglect, and this made the police investigate even further and finally they found that the orphanage was illegal and not authorized to be here, and that they had been taking in children and adopting them out illegally. The first thing I was concerned about was where all the children would go. There are 40 children there and I know that I know most of them. Guillermo and I spent all day yesterday trying to find out where they got sent to. We have been talking to the government and we are hopefully going to be able to take in all the babies and a few of the older children.

No comments: