Saturday, August 9, 2008

Journal: Day 1







I'm sitting on the airplane flying high above the clouds, and I'm finally on my way. We will arrive in Guatemala City in about an hou r. I'm already exhausted, but anticipating our adventure. I'm traveling with Kevin, Mandy, and Mariyah . Kevin is President of the organization, and has a bigger heart than anyone I know. He's incredibly devoted to this organization, and the children. It motivates me to do more. Mandy is the girl who originally got this all started. She is an incredibly sweet girl and I enjoy getting to know her. I hope that we can grow together this week, and have s ome fun experiences together. Mariyah is the other volunteer. She just returned from a mission in Guatemala, and is very excited to return to the city and people she loves so much. She 's really outgoing and we hit it off immediately. I'm glad she laughs and jokes a lot with us.
My voice is raw because the 4 of us have essentially been talking for the last 12 hours. We have been brainstorming ideas to he
lp the children from long term goals to short term goals. Education opportunities....fundraising ideas...anything you can think of..we've discussed. I think we may have come up with some really great ideas and we'll just have to do some research and analysis. There's still so much that has to be done, it's overwhelming, but in the end can help make their lives better.
The steel box with the donations, and the 4-Runner had some delays at the port. We won't receive it until the middle of next week. That means...I'm not entirely sure how we're getting to the orphanage. I heard something about a truck, and sitting in back with the luggage. I'm not sure. I'm only hope it's not true. Either way, from what I hear about the suicidal driving that goes on, it should be 45 minutes of white knuckling fun!! Lets get this started!

No comments: