Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Journal: Day 5










It's been a busy day. Mandy and I rearranged th e nursery, playroom, nanny bedroom, and the boys rooms. I am exhausted! That was a huge project, but I think everyone's happy with the resu lts.
We got horrible
news about the cargo box. It's still being released from the port and we will NOT receive it before the time we leave on Sunday. I'm just sick about it, and Kevin feels worse. When we were talking about it, I could tell he was trying to keep his emotions in check. He's done everything, a nd anything he can possibly do, and still...no success. At this point, we just have to let it go, and continue to look at the bigge r picture. It will undoubtedly be released into possession of the orphanage.....just not while we're here to help. Ah....it makes me sick. I guess when you're trying so hard to do something good, you have to know that there will always be o pposition in all things.
I gave little Jo se a bath today. He was absolutely filthy, and we had so much fun! I lathered him up, was hed his hair, and I eve n let little Paula help. She was so excited! Then I noticed the bruises up and down his back from earlier physical ab use. I love that little boy. His mother came to visit a little bit ago, and when she tried to pic k him up, he started to cry and was scared of her. He has this heartbreaking look on his fa ce when he is scared or thinks he is in trouble. It is a face of GENUINE fear. How could a parent beat a child? I pray that he is too y oung to r emember what his life was like.
I a lso l ear ned that Mayerlli was left in an outdoor market, and her moth er told her to forget she ha s a family. She was left to fend for herself like a stray dog. Today she is sweet, and gentle, and loves an y one who will love her back. She has suc h a wonderful disposition, and seems genuinely h appy at the orphanage. I love her smile a nd how she radiates when she laughs!!
I have observ
ed so much aggression in some of the kids. Paula actually bit Deanna on the arm today making her bleed and bruise. It's obv ious where this behavior is learned because t hey tell us that t h eir parents used to beat them all the tim e. When they love, they love with their wh ole heart. When they're angry, it's aggressive a nd mean. Esduardo , Deanna, and Paula are such great k ids and it makes me sick that they've had such adversity in their lives. I'm so glad they have each other for support. I love them all.

It's been a little bit of a strange day for me . I've felt very emotional and had to put my feeling in check more than once to keep my emotions under control. At dinner tonight, I found myself tearing up as I was watching how happy and well t aken care of they are here. They are so lucky to have a person like Kevin in their lives. I t's so cute how they love him. Every single child calls him Papa Oso which in english means Papa Bear. He h as more lov e for them than they will ever comprehend. Ken has also been an awesome support to these kids. He is sooo good
w
ith them a nd he is such a good example. I c an see that they really look up to him.
M
artita made tamales for Ken tonight. I love that little lady! She takes such good care of everyone, an d she was so excited to make a special dinner. She spent all day preparin g them, and then cook ing them over a fire in the backyard. She even dressed up for th e occasion. Martita is AWESOME!





The chicken coop is done!! I can't be lieve what an incredible job Ken and Kevin have done. They practically the whole thing themselves. It's more of an chicken mansion!! It will house up to 5 0 chickens, and they have every luxury any chicken would like! It's actually nicer than some people's house s that I saw there!
I can't believe it's Friday tomorrow. Where has the week gone? I love hanging out with Mandy. We get along so well, and both are Nazi's. I'm also getting to know Lindsay as well too. She's a really sweet person, and has been awes ome about helping with the kids. I really appreciate her willingness to help with the kids! I'm so tired all the time, and it's hard work....surprisingly hard. I'm sooo tired of washing dishes , and cleaning the kitchen. It's a NEVER ENDING PROCESS! I have no idea how thes e women live like this their entire lives!!I truly am so blessed!!!

No comments: