Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Journal: Day 4



It's been an overwhelming 2 days. We received our first infant yesterday. We got him from the capitol when Guillermo and Mandy went to drop off more paperwork. The mother had just arrived and was in the next office ready to hand over the baby. When Mandy went in the room to take her baby she said that the Mother was crying and so were the other ch ildren she had brought with her. She said she was a single mother, and already had 3 children to care for. She said that it would be impossible to keep him. Her son is 8 days old , and his name is Levi. He is soo tiny, so sweet, and he never cries. Late last night as I was rocking him, I was overwhelmed by the situation. I couldn't imagine how it must feel to sit at home with empty arms, wondering what would become o f my child. Here I am, with HER baby in MY arms, wondering how in the world I got here. Levi will never know his mother and father. Levi may very will spend the rest of his young life in an orphanage. My heart aches for the things they will never know or have.
I don't have a clue about how to care for an 8 day old baby. He has so many needs, but he's unbelievably good. The majority of responsibility falls on Mandy, and she's doing an awesome job with him. I help her out a lot because I think I'm the only one she trusts him with, and we wor k really well as a team . I think sharing the responsibilty of Levi makes it not so scar y. The kids love him, and always want to touch him. We have to remind them that they're not allowed to touch him with their hands, but Mandy lets them give him kisses. They love showing him love.


I just have to make a quick vent and then I'm done. I am deeply disappointed with some o f the other volunteers that are here. They have proved to be more of a burden than an asset to the orphanage. I'm embarrassed by their lack of work ethic, and respect for what is being done here. It should not be treated as a vacation or sightseeing trip. I am trying no t to let their laziness affect me, but I'm so frustrated with their lack of respect and consideration for other people. It's made me realize how much I've grown up in the last couple years, and reminded me of why I'm so selective with friends. I just have to focus on the children, and I'm reminded why I'm here. Volunteering isn't glamorous....it's REALLY hard work!! It shouldn't be treated as this 'token' humanitarian effort, where you make it look like you really did something great, but then the minute the picture's taken... you're done. ANYWAY...that's it... I'm done...I've said my piece.....back to the good stuff.
The cargo box should arrive tomorrow with all the donations. I can't wait, and we have so much work to do when it arrives. I hope there aren't any more problems.


No comments: