Monday, August 11, 2008

Journal: Day 3

It's been a very long and busy day for me. I started off the day with a delicious breakfast of beans and eggs. The cook Martita is back, and she is awesome!! I pig out on her food, and she loves me for it. I'm determined to get her black bean recipe, and pancake recipe!!

The Baby Nursery


Mandy and I organized the nursery today. It took about 3-4 hours, and I'm really pleased with our progress. We're very meticulous about how we do it, so it doesn't create more work in the long run. Still....there's so much work to be done.
We discovered one of the little girls has lice....only to discover ALL the girls have lic e....only to discover that the entire place is covered in them! We took each of the children and applied, set, washed, and combed their hair. Mandy and I did almost every step. We were even the lucky ones to comb out the lice. It was actually pretty horrific. I couldn't believe how big they were, and so many!!! It took 4 long hours, and I'm still not sure we got rid of them. I have a feeling they may have come from one of the new arrivals that were living on the streets. Hers was one of the worst. By the time we finished, my skin was crawling, BUT...I could feel their gratitude. It made me feel good to do something that no one else wanted to do. They kept hugging me and saying "Thank You" with their faces pressed to my stomach. I'm so attached to them, even when they're being naughty, and sometimes I start to tear up with I think about having to say goodbye. How will I ever do it??
I had a wonderful opportunity for the first time to have some one-on-one time with Erica and Alejandra. These are beautiful and amazing girls. Alejandra is 14 and wants to be a surgeon. She graduates from high school next year when she turns 15, and will apply to her intermediate school right away. Erica is 19 and has one year left of her bilingual secretarial program. She spends so many hours at school, and t hen has lots of homework. Then she spends the rest of the day cooking and cleaning for everyone. She is amazing and I have soooo much respect for both of them. I have promised before the week is over to pay for all their school supplies to get them through the next school year. As the 2 oldest children, I really want to see them succeed and make their own way. I have also promised to keep in touch with them by email, and asked that they let me know if they are in need of anything. Education is soo important for these girls, and they deserve the opportunity.

No comments: